King’s is committed to being an environment free from bullying and harassment, prejudice, and discrimination. Controlling/coercive behaviour is contrary to the Equality Act 2010 and to King's College London's Bullying and Harassment Policy.

It's happened to me, what can I do?

It's happened to someone I know, what can I do?

If you think someone you know is experiencing controlling and/or coercive behaviour, they are not alone and support is available.
  • Think 
    • Are they in immediate danger? If they are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can contact the emergency services on 999 (or 112 from a mobile phone) or the King’s Security Team.
    • Find a safe space. If an incident has just happened, try to help them find somewhere they feel safe.
    • What is controlling and/or coercive behaviour? It might be useful to think about what is meant by controlling and/or coercive behaviour, and how this is described.
  • Talk
    • Listen. Just taking the time to listen to someone and talk about what has happened can help. Try these 6 active listening tips to help you support them.
    • Give options. When they have finished talking, ask them if they are okay to talk through some possible options and next steps.
    • You can encourage them to seek support. If this is a fellow student, encourage them to explore the guidance we have on Student Services Online, as described above, especially for our guidance for looking after your health and wellbeing.
    • Alternatively, you can make an anonymous disclosure which will allow us to investigate if there are multiple instances in one area.
  • Get support
    • You may want to seek out support yourself for guidance on the best way to help the person you know who's been affected. 
    • You may want to consider approaching your Personal Tutor, Faculty Wellbeing & Welfare Team, the Chaplaincy or any other trusted person to help you help someone else.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened