If you would like support to make your report, or you would simply like to talk to someone about your experience before submitting a report, there are several options for support which you can go to.

Or, if someone has reported you, you're concerned and would like to confidentially discuss it with someone, these options may also be suitable.

Student support:

  • If you're an undergraduate or postgraduate taught student, you can approach your Personal Tutor, or to your supervisor if you're a postgraduate research student.
  • A Faculty Wellbeing & Welfare Advisor.
  • A member of the Chaplaincy.
  • A KCLSU Advice Caseworker: KCLSU Advice offers an independent and confidential service offering advice and guidance about King's policies and procedures. Find out more about this service at KCLSU Advice.
  • An adviser from the specialist Advice Services, such as Money & Housing Advice, Visa & International Advice, and the Wellbeing & Welfare Advisors.
  • An adviser from the Disability Support & Inclusion; you can find out more about this support at Disability support.
  • A counsellor or mental health specialist from Counselling & Mental Health Support Service.
  • A trusted member of staff from your department or faculty.
  • King’s has a range of support, depending upon your level of need. You can also visit the Health & Wellbeing Hub to find more about what’s on offer.
If you are both a student and a staff member, for example, if you a postgraduate research student who also undertakes Graduate teaching, you may also be able to access support available to staff; you find out more about what is on offer at KCL Staff Experience: Mental Wellbeing.

If you need help urgently:


There are two ways you can tell us what happened